User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- RISC OS interview with Tim H-Smith (News:1)
- 55 BBC Micro Books on CD (News:)
- RISC OS interview with Richard Keefe (News:3)
- The South-West Show Report 2018 (News:9)
- February News Round-up (News:)
- The South-West Show 2018 in pictures (News:)
- AMCS free versions are live! (Gen:12)
- New RISC OS !FamTree application reviewed (News:1)
- Returning to ImpressionX (News:)
- South West Show is fast approaching (News:4)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF
Site Search
Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: General: looking for RiscPC
  looking for RiscPC
  cybertrophic (13:55 22/12/2008)
  adamr (16:51 22/12/2008)
  brevimanu (13:52 28/12/2008)
Chance Hooper Message #109058, posted by cybertrophic at 13:55, 22/12/2008

I've always wanted an Archimeded/Risc machine from Acorn and I loved the RiscPC when they came out - the slices were a genius idea and I'd love to get hold of a two or three slice machine - not too fussed about the spec - what would people consider a working minimum? I come from a Unix and Mac background, so have no idea if RiscOS machines need lots of storage, etc - what is a good spec to look at, etc?

Also, considering the last time I was looking at buying an Acorn, I was 14 and they were brand new, what sort of cost am I looking at? And where might I find it? Feel free to send links, etc!

^[ Log in to reply ]
Adam Message #109059, posted by adamr at 16:51, 22/12/2008, in reply to message #109058
You can pick up them up on eBay:
I've not looked recently so have no idea what they go for nowadays. You can also buy new RISC OS hardware (an A9Home in beta form) from http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/

If you're going to get a RiscPC (which are over a decade old now!) try and find one with at least RISC OS 4, a StrongARM processor and 2MB VRAM. Regarding storage and RAM - the OS and standard apps require basically nothing in modern terms.

Another option in emulation (either free or commercial).

^[ Log in to reply ]
john wade Message #109066, posted by brevimanu at 13:52, 28/12/2008, in reply to message #109058
Hi,go to apdl.co.uk they will fix you up with a risc pc in any configuration you want at a very good price,good luck.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: General: looking for RiscPC