User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Looking for games from description..

Looking for games from description..
  fys (22:20 15/3/2013)
  filecore (05:55 16/3/2013)
  Loris (11:43 18/3/2013)
    arawnsley (10:20 19/3/2013)

Eff Whyess Message #122061, posted by fys at 22:20, 15/3/2013
Hi. I have a vague recollection of a couple of games I once new but I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called. The first (I think this was on an Archimedes machine, played around the same time as ArcVenture and Fireball) was a (up to 4 players) maze game, where on your turn you could either move your piece (a red, blue, yellow or green ring) around a 2d, top-down maze or move the maze under the pieces by sliding part of the grid. You had to collect things (treasure?) of different types to win? The second (and complete apologies if this is wholly the wrong place to ask) but going back even further on a BBC Acorn (Micro?) was a racing game, in black and white, where you navigated a racing along a race track that ran bottom to top on the scree, using the z and x keys to move left and right, and as you got further the track narrowed and got more dificult, as you avoided bits of broken cars and oil slicks.. The oil slicks were marked as O I think?! Thanks!

[Edited by fys at 22:22, 15/3/2013]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #122062, posted by filecore at 05:55, 16/3/2013, in reply to message #122061

The second going back even further on a BBC Acorn (Micro?) was a racing game, in black and white, where you navigated a racing along a race track that ran bottom to top on the scree, using the z and x keys to move left and right, and as you got further the track narrowed and got more dificult, as you avoided bits of broken cars and oil slicks.
This was simply called Racer, and you could cheat by, if you timed it right, driving over and 'erasing' certain parts of the lines. Then you'd be outside of the track and unstoppable. You could also clip off the tyres of racecar objects in the same way if you were careful.

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/ills/elbug/s-eidb.gif
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #122068, posted by Loris at 11:43, 18/3/2013, in reply to message #122061
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha
[...] was a (up to 4 players) maze game, where on your turn you could either move your piece (a red, blue, yellow or green ring) around a 2d, top-down maze or move the maze under the pieces by sliding part of the grid. You had to collect things (treasure?) of different types to win?
I think I remember that. It was from a magazine disk... the little A5 mag, whatever that was.

It had quite good graphics for the time, with masonry style maze pieces, some of which had lichen on. And you could add in computer players. I once had the computer playing itself and it got into an endless loop.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #122075, posted by arawnsley at 10:20, 19/3/2013, in reply to message #122068
R-Comp chap
I suspect you're thinking of RISC User magazine. I think there was a game called Amaze or something, although I believe I only ever ran it once. It might be on our RISC User in a nutshell CD somewhere, although I must admit I'm not quite sure, as there were some odd splits in the Beebug/RISC User/Risc Developments brands.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Looking for games from description..