User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- RISC OS online Developer social meetup on saturday
- RISC OS online Developer social meetup
- ABug provide more interesting retro talks to pass the time this Christmas
- CodeCraft #4 voting open
- Testing on RISC OS
- CodeCraft returns
- Acorn Preservation Team want to help archive your old data before it's too late
- Pass the time this Christmas with a selection of RISC OS and BBC Micro talks
- Adventures in Optimisation - Walls
- Adventures in Optimisation - Audio mixing
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: DDE tools update released

DDE tools update released

Posted by Mark Stephens on 06:21, 6/4/2018 |

ROOL has released a new update for their toolset, DDE28b. As the name suggests, this is not a major update but incremental tweaks and bug fixes to the tools. Reading through the Changelogs, changes are in !CC, !DDT, !ObjAsm and !ResTest and ddt module has also been updated.

This is now the default version for new customers. Existing customers have been sent a zip with the changes to copy over the existing release.

In their email to users, ROOL also mention additional bounties for further support for ARM processors.

Tools are critical to the survival of any platform so good to see ongoing improvements on DDE.

Bounty link

DDE tools update released
  Elesar (15:32 7/4/2018)
  nytrex (09:37 8/4/2018)
    Elesar (17:38 9/4/2018)
      nytrex (04:47 10/4/2018)

Robert Sprowson Message #124269, posted by Elesar at 15:32, 7/4/2018
The update was a nice surprise and shows their commitment to the tool chain.

However, it would be good if DDT was made (much) more useful. All the primitives are there: breakpoints, watchpoints, single stepping, inspecting variables, source code correlation, but it's so clumsy to use having to open the menus each time to access 1 bit of functionality. With some reorganisation it could be made to look like a "standard" debugger with all those things on the view at the same time (because internally the code must be there to do each one) given monitors are much bigger now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alan Robertson Message #124270, posted by nytrex at 09:37, 8/4/2018, in reply to message #124269
Do you know who is updating the DDE tools these days?
I believe Codemist has closed down, so I assumed there would be no more updates coming from them.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Robert Sprowson Message #124271, posted by Elesar at 17:38, 9/4/2018, in reply to message #124270
Do you know who is updating the DDE tools these days?
I believe Codemist has closed down, so I assumed there would be no more updates coming from them.
This post mentions that the last drop from Codemist was 1990's, so there were already no updates coming from them (for the main C compiler).

Post 2007 they're updated by ROOL.

I have, in the last 6 months, also spoken to Ben Avison about C11 features which could be supported - there's some useful stuff in there for multi core support at the language level which would be nice.

[Edited by Elesar at 18:45, 9/4/2018]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Alan Robertson Message #124272, posted by nytrex at 04:47, 10/4/2018, in reply to message #124271
Thanks for the information and links - it looks like I somehow missed (or forgotten) that ROOL updated the DDE these days.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: News and features: DDE tools update released