Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: Bond Trivia (Timothy Dolt)

Bond Trivia (Timothy Dolt)
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Andrew Message #18031, posted by andrew at 09:35, 13/8/2002
HandbagHandbag Boi
Living Daylights is on tomorrow.
This has been described as the best Bond film ever and I tend to agree.
Dalton was my favourite of all the Bonds.
Apparently the story was written for Roger Moore but Licence to Kill for Dalton.

Geoffrey Keen who played Sir Frederick Gray Minister of Defense from 1977 and then appeared alongside M (Robert Brown) for all the Moore films from then is in it as is Robert Brown.
Robert Brown also makes an appearance in Licence to Kill.

Dalton was loyal to Bond until around '93 when he felt he'd been associated with it for too long and although Goldeneye story had been started possibly with him in mind he left allowing Brosnan to step in (who hadn't been able to take up the role in '87 when Dalton declined the initial offer).

Apparently Sir Frederick Gray's character makes an appearance in Goldeneye but by another actor.
Also you'll see General Gogol who was in most of Moore's films but in another job (not role).
Felix Leiter appears (can't remember when) but not as the same actor as previously although this actor returns for Licence to Kill having appeared I think in Live and Let Die.

I think it is one of the most disappointing event s in the history of cinema that Dalton didn't carry on with Bond.
He won acclaim for being the actor most closely portraying Fleming's creation and arguably the reason License to Kill didn't do so well was because of poor marketing.
From what I can work out Dalton did not go because people didn't like him _ I can't find evidence that he went for this reason anywhere - so don't let people tell you he did!

[Edited by andrew at 09:39, 13/8/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18051, posted by rich at 10:29, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18031
Rich
Dictator for life
He was dull. You obviously haven't been looking very hard. Fleming always said that Cary Grant was his ideal Bond, and in no way did Dalton have that charm and panache - a good actor, but totally miscast. Brosnan does a good job of balancing the charm and sadism required for the part, if only they'd give him some decent scripts (The World Is Not Enough? Rehash of some old Connery scripts).

Of the modern Bond films I liked Tomorrow Never Dies best, because it had a good mix of realism and escapism. I'm not keen on the out-and-out sci-fi/fantasy that some Bond films fall in to - like pretty much all of Roger Eyebrow's Bond films.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18056, posted by andrew at 10:56, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18051
HandbagHandbag Boi
I pretty much liked all of the actors who played him and don't forget Roger Moore made 7films (suggest FYEO for his most serious).
I thought Dalton brought a lot of realism and updated the role in a sensible way i.e. just not being overly smarmy and sexist instead of having M say blatantly "youre a masoginist dinosaur" - that was really unnecessary imo.
I thought he had the right balance and what I meant by that last part was that I can find no record of Timothy Dalton being ousted from the part as a result of viewer's dislike for him. As I said he was critically acclaimed but more importantly there was 4 years of legal wrangling and at the end of this Dalton said he'd had enough.
I do like Brosnan though but Goldeneye was OTT in many respects. It seemed to tread on all the work that Dalton had done in bringing Bond into the present.

[Edited by andrew at 10:56, 13/8/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18059, posted by rich at 11:35, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18056
Rich
Dictator for life
Unpopular Dalton - after about 5 seconds Google-age:

http://www.dack.com/suck/suck_classic.html
(suck list item #11)
http://liamneesonfanclub.tripod.com/articles/leadingmen.html
("Dalton ultimately proved unpopular with audiences")
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000050YLV/ref%3Ded%5Ffelist%5F1%5F4/202-3785258-6575812
("the unpopular Dalton")

That's just page one!

Dalton was unpopular. Without getting access to Brocolli PLC's minutes no-one can say if this was or was not the defining reason why Dalton left, but you don't keep unpopular leading men in a popular franchise *cough*Val*Kilmer*Batman*cough*. If he didn't jump, he would have been pushed anyway.

And he's Welsh for goodness sake! The greatest English spy has been Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Aussie. P'tah.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18064, posted by andrew at 12:16, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18059
HandbagHandbag Boi
Yes I know this but I mean if you look at the official statements and in interviews the producers nor Mr.Dalton will not give any sign that he was pushed to go.
I've never been able to see for why, the unpopularity anyway.

Yes, colwyn Bay I believe but quickly moved to Manchester!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18065, posted by andrew at 12:17, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18064
HandbagHandbag Boi
Btw, here's the context of that last link:

Brosnan's performance in TWINE is his best as Bond so far. Although I still say the unpopular Dalton is still the only actor who has truly nailed the Bond character, Brosnan, in this film, isn't far off. This time Bond is shown to have a real emotional investment in the cases he takes on and the people he protects.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18067, posted by rich at 12:36, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18065
Rich
Dictator for life
I know the context. The author of the piece happened to like him, but still admits that he was unpopular. Ergo, even those that loved him still recognised that he wasn't a popular Bond.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18069, posted by rich at 12:40, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18064
Rich
Dictator for life
Yes I know this but I mean if you look at the official statements and in interviews the producers nor Mr.Dalton will not give any sign that he was pushed to go.
Yes, and MPs really do leave to "spend more time with his family". No one official is going to come out and say "yeah, he was crap, we got rid at the first possible moment", they'll always say something like "oh, we're really sorry to see him go, and wish him well in his next venture". It's basic politics.

He just wasn't any fun. He seemed to take things too seriously, which, although I disliked Moore's Bond, some humour is needed to round the character off. The quips just didn't fly from Dalton's mouth like they did with Connery, Moore, and Brosnan.

And who was the only stiff guy in Flash Gordon? That film was more camp than a forest full of cub scouts, and Dalton still played it like he'd got a stick stuck up his ass.
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18078, posted by andrew at 13:54, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18067
HandbagHandbag Boi
I know the context. The author of the piece happened to like him, but still admits that he was unpopular. Ergo, even those that loved him still recognised that he wasn't a popular Bond.
No and as I day I don't understand why.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18079, posted by andrew at 13:56, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18069
HandbagHandbag Boi
Yes, and MPs really do leave to "spend more time with his family". No one official is going to come out and say "yeah, he was crap, we got rid at the first possible moment", they'll always say something like "oh, we're really sorry to see him go, and wish him well in his next venture". It's basic politics.

He just wasn't any fun. He seemed to take things too seriously, which, although I disliked Moore's Bond, some humour is needed to round the character off. The quips just didn't fly from Dalton's mouth like they did with Connery, Moore, and Brosnan.

And who was the only stiff guy in Flash Gordon? That film was more camp than a forest full of cub scouts, and Dalton still played it like he'd got a stick stuck up his ass.
But I liked the seriousness you see (see earlier post).

And watchit! I look up to the guy!
He was also in Dune, RocketMan and another film with Patrick Steward (around 1985).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #18082, posted by mfrissen at 14:34, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18031
mfrissen

James Bond is a wuss.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18083, posted by rich at 14:45, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18082
Rich
Dictator for life
James Bond is a wuss.
Obviously Marco's a big Vin Diesel fan ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18087, posted by andrew at 15:11, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18083
HandbagHandbag Boi
James Bond is a wuss.
Obviously Marco's a big Vin Diesel fan ;)
I see.
Van der Walk would batter him.

[Edited by andrew at 15:11, 13/8/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #18088, posted by [mentat] at 15:19, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18079
[mentat]Fear is the mind-killer
He was in Dune??? Errm, really?

From http://www.insane.nu/kult/flash.htm :

"Flash Gordon is sci-fi filmmaking at it's best, better than Dune, better than The Matrix, hell I'd say it's even better than Star Wars!"

:P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Marco Frissen Message #18089, posted by mfrissen at 15:23, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18083
mfrissen

offtopic, but I you want to see a *good* action movie, check out shiri:
http://www.ipix.co.kr/
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18094, posted by andrew at 16:23, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18088
HandbagHandbag Boi
He was in Dune??? Errm, really?
From
:
"Flash Gordon is sci-fi filmmaking at it's best, better than Dune, better than The Matrix, hell I'd say it's even better than Star Wars!"
:P
Yes he was!! You of all people should know that!

I didn;t know or had forgotten about Flash G. tho.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #18096, posted by [mentat] at 16:26, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18094
Yes he was!! You of all people should know that!
Yes, I should. Who did he play? URL please! Evidence!!! :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18097, posted by andrew at 16:49, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18096
HandbagHandbag Boi
OH NO :o
I think I've made a big slip-up here and been thinking of a scene from Dune with Patrick Stewart as Timothy Dalton. For all these years. Oh well, sorry..
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

I don't have tourettes you're just a cun Message #18098, posted by [mentat] at 16:51, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18097
Patrick Stewart played Timothy Dalton in Dune?!?!?

:o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #18110, posted by Phlamethrower at 17:18, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18098
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

*skips all replies and puts own point across*

I'm not really that arsed about the actors or the acting, I'm just interested in the plot :P

I mean, c'mon, what could be a better plan than flooding silicon valley to control the microchip industry? Or (in Goldeneye) using an EMP satellite to take over the stock market (Or whatever the plot was, can't remember :| But the EMP satellite made it a good film :E)

Megalomaniacs always make a good film :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18112, posted by andrew at 18:37, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18110
HandbagHandbag Boi
No I think an actor can have a huge impact on the film.

And can somebody please spell Mr.Dalton's name correctly!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #18126, posted by Revin Kevin at 21:31, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18059

And he's Welsh for goodness sake! The greatest English spy has been Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Aussie. P'tah.
But in the Books he was born in Scotland
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kevin Wells Message #18127, posted by Revin Kevin at 21:32, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18082
James Bond is a wuss.
Read the books he was a complete merciless bastard. Which made him better than the films ever did.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18129, posted by andrew at 23:40, 13/8/2002, in reply to message #18126
HandbagHandbag Boi

True but his parents were both killed no?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18136, posted by andrew at 11:29, 14/8/2002, in reply to message #18129
HandbagHandbag Boi
I think Mr.dalton's official site could do with :richg:'s web-design skills. It's terrible, a mass of text and a 600K poor res. scan at the top!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18141, posted by rich at 11:44, 14/8/2002, in reply to message #18126
Rich
Dictator for life
As the Duke of Wellington once said, just because you're born in a stable doesn't make you a donkey. [insert bleedin' obvious biblical reference]. Wellington, nee Arthur "Beaky" Wellsley, was of course a great British general - who was born in Ireland.

However, being born in Wales is much worse, and let's face it, Timmy Dalton didn't defeat Napoleon so I'm much less likely to forgive him ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18143, posted by rich at 11:50, 14/8/2002, in reply to message #18110
Rich
Dictator for life
I'm not really that arsed about the actors or the acting, I'm just interested in the plot :P
Then you're missing half the fun. Take an average film on paper - e.g. Hunt for Red October, True Romance etc. - and then populate with great actors (Sean Connery who speaks even Russian with a Scottish accent, or in the latter film Christopher Walken vs. Dennis Hopper interrogation scene). Stir well until the ham is well distributed. Cook for 96 minutes and serve.

The Timothy Dolt-on Bond films were not great films to start with, and he didn't improve them. Goldeneye was still faintly ridiculous but had Brosnan, as well as good support from Joe Don Baker and Robbie Coltrain to name but a few. And a Bond girl that made you die happy... ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18152, posted by rich at 13:03, 14/8/2002, in reply to message #18141
Rich
Dictator for life
However, being born in Wales is much worse, and let's face it, Timmy Dalton didn't defeat Napoleon so I'm much less likely to forgive him ;)
I think I should be careful about the anti-non-English jokes, given the latest new user...

Welcome our newest member robins

Profile for user robins
Name: Scott Robinson
Email: scottr@powys.gov.uk
Total posts: 0

;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #18156, posted by andrew at 13:40, 14/8/2002, in reply to message #18143
HandbagHandbag Boi
Then you're missing half the fun. Take an average film on paper - e.g. Hunt for Red October, True Romance etc. - and then populate with great actors (Sean Connery who speaks even Russian with a Scottish accent, or in the latter film Christopher Walken vs. Dennis Hopper interrogation scene). Stir well until the ham is well distributed. Cook for 96 minutes and serve.

The Timothy Dolt-on Bond films were not great films to start with, and he didn't improve them. Goldeneye was still faintly ridiculous but had Brosnan, as well as good support from Joe Don Baker and Robbie Coltrain to name but a few. And a Bond girl that made you die happy... ;)
But I think Living Daylights was a fantastic film and has been described as the best ever. Personally I like how he brought that darker, serious edge to them which left a great impression when I first saw his films.
Joe Don Baker also played Brad Whittaker in Living Daylights but now is the Felix Leiter 'replacement'.

I read one BBC article (Search for Timothy Dalton) which says something like 'now Bond is comtemporary PC reality'. What trash, Dalton updated the films marvellously without bowing to making blatant and superficial remarks and situations about men and women being equal. They're not and the head of MI6 has never been a woman. I'm not objecting to that but the whole contradiction of pretending to be contemporary yet losing and backtracking on the reality that Dalton's films seemed to have.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #18181, posted by rich at 14:20, 14/8/2002, in reply to message #18156
Rich
Dictator for life
But I think Living Daylights was a fantastic film and has been described as the best ever.
And so has Flash Gordon. So just because someone says it's great, doesn't make it so.
Joe Don Baker also played Brad Whittaker in Living Daylights but now is the Felix Leiter 'replacement'.
He came into his own with the "can you hand me that hammer there Jimmy?" bit in Goldeneye. Last decent thing I saw him in before that was Edge of Darkness, which shows my age.
and the head of MI6 has never been a woman.
Thus completely missing out on the fact that it's a nod to Stella Rimington's turn as head honcho at MI5. Tsk.

Bond will never be based completely in reality, but it's nice to see female characters that aren't just bed fodder and black characters that aren't just carrying Bond's luggage. Just because Dalton didn't get to shag [m]any of his Bond girls doesn't make it more realistic ;)
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: Bond Trivia (Timothy Dolt)