User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: mume..

mume..
  (13:58 15/6/2002)
  Phlamethrower (13:58 15/6/2002)
    ninj (22:41 24/3/2002)
      mfrissen (13:58 15/6/2002)
    VinylWallpaper (13:58 15/6/2002)
        andrew (13:58 15/6/2002)
          Phlamethrower (21:27 27/3/2002)
            andrew (13:58 15/6/2002)
  john (13:58 15/6/2002)

ninj Message #8720, posted at 22:41, 24/3/2002, in reply to message #8719
Unregistered user
MUDs are too involving

You don't say? I remember when I was at university the mere site of a greasy haired face staring at a blue and white telnet screen could persuade me to give up on coursework and go down the pub.

Come to think of it, the mere presence of the pub could do that.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #8727, posted at 21:27, 27/3/2002, in reply to message #8726
Unregistered user No, but I was talking more about the complete off-topicness and general air of 'I don't give a damn about what he just posted' in the reply.

I have a dog instead. Drool, bad breath, lots of hair, stupidity, barking, lying in the way, humping his bed, and smelly poo.

^[ Log in to reply ]

mfrissen Message #8718, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002
Unregistered user http://mume.pvv.org

oh boy, addictive as hell... and playable on riscos smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #8719, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8718
Unregistered user Since no-one else is here at the moment, I might as well rant to myself.

Let's see... MUDS...

First MUD I got in to was TOS Trek, a Star Trek one based around the same time as Kirk. Good MUD, except for a few problems...

1) No-one seemed interested in playing it; out of about 10 to 20 people online while I was, they all seemed to hang around in the OOC area. I only actually met one person in-game.
2) The version of the MUD had been in development since about 1996, and showed no signs of progress since then.
3) The admin were a bit of an a**e... it took over 6 months for them to set up a shop for me to sell stuff from, and I still never got any of the equipment in that would actually make it a shop
4) The only real way of doing anything appeared to be by joining starfleet, since there was no-one else around.

So, after about 6 months, I finally got bored and left.

*quick check*

yep, it's still around at http://www.tos.net/

Oooh look, a grand total of 15 people are playing, and the website doesn't seem to have changed in the past 2 years.

Let's have a look at the 'Genesis project', the codename for the next version:

20 June 99 No details have been added yet. Keep checking this site for more information.

They've made some real progress then wink

Let's see... I suppose about a year later I got back into another MUD, Fractal Edge. A nice and brutal cyberpunk world, except for one problem...

A freak IP address change a few months earlier seemed to have lost them about 99% of their players, such that I was usually the only one connected. At the time I was hanging around the TF2 forums (Before the great cleansing, but that's another story), and managed to convince a few of my friends their to join up. None of them really took to it though, and I was left running round smashing pedestrians and selling their organs all by myself unhappy

I found a nice client, zMUD, and got a map of pretty much all of the world made while I was there - a great help for navigation. The only problem was that since all the players had vanished, there was literally nothing to do except the ped-smashing - all the shops were out of supplies (e.g. guns), and when I managed to finally kill someone who had a gun there was no ammo left in it unhappy

To cut a long story short though, one day one of the admins turned up (Using a cloaking device), and said that soon the MUD would be shut down due to lack of players. He also gave me a load of cash, and a nice chaingun to play with. Unfortunately a gang of guard dogs in a room marked 'do not enter' soon finished me off and I lost most of my stuff unhappy

Where was I, oh yes. The MUD was shut down unhappy

You may remember these posts as a desperate attempt to get more players:

IconBar
Acorn Arcade

As you can tell though, they failed unhappy

Then, all was quiet....

Until this post popped up:

Acorn Arcade

I got into that for a while, until I realised that it would take hours and hours to build up to the same kind of character level as the top rate players (No doubt with flat-rate connections unhappy).

I've no idea when it was I left, but quite a few things have changed since then... site redesigns, downloadable version, larger map, enlargement of the non-PK area in favour of a system where both people must agree to fight, etc.

If my accout is still active, I should be hidden in the woods somewhere hunting bears and surviving off the land wink

But the moral of this story is...

I'm not going to look at MUME because MUDs are too involving - you need to spend ages playing them in order to get the most benefit, and other people can come to depend on you as being part of the MUD community. If I can find a nice cyberpunk MUD though (And some way of dodging paying for a good MUD client), I may return...

[Edit]

Whooo.. took about half an hour to write that wink

I have many more stories that I can tell if you lot don't learn to be in the forums when I am...

Either that or we need an IRC channel monkey

Also corrected the &'s in the URLs not being trapped properly (Which I reported ages ago, might find a link to it for you)

[Edit #2]

Here you go!

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:35, 24/3/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

mfrissen Message #8721, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8720
Unregistered user and I was just trying to show that some games actually can be played on the ROS.. *sigh* .. as if TEK doesn't take ages to play.. RTS games suck anyway. there tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #8722, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8721
Unregistered user Ah, but TEK doesn't eat up your phone bill smile

And couldn't a MUD be classed as a type of RTS? monkey

^[ Log in to reply ]

john Message #8723, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8718
Unregistered user Well http://www.whiteplain.com was really good and worked better on RO than windoze, but then it got hacked and taken off line. I used to be a clan leader of a quite successful clan smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinylWallpaper Message #8724, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8719
Unregistered user
Since no-one else is here at the moment, I might as well rant to myself.
Let's see... MUDS...
First MUD I got in to was TOS Trek, a Star Trek one based around the same time as Kirk. Good MUD, except for a few problems...
1) No-one seemed interested in playing it; out of about 10 to 20 people online while I was, they all seemed to hang around in the OOC area. I only actually met one person in-game.
2) The version of the MUD had been in development since about 1996, and showed no signs of progress since then.
3) The admin were a bit of an a**e... it took over 6 months for them to set up a shop for me to sell stuff from, and I still never got any of the equipment in that would actually make it a shop
4) The only real way of doing anything appeared to be by joining starfleet, since there was no-one else around.
So, after about 6 months, I finally got bored and left.
*quick check*
yep, it's still around at
Oooh look, a grand total of 15 people are playing, and the website doesn't seem to have changed in the past 2 years.
Let's have a look at the 'Genesis project', the codename for the next version:
20 June 99 No details have been added yet. Keep checking this site for more information.
They've made some real progress then wink
Let's see... I suppose about a year later I got back into another MUD, Fractal Edge. A nice and brutal cyberpunk world, except for one problem...
A freak IP address change a few months earlier seemed to have lost them about 99% of their players, such that I was usually the only one connected. At the time I was hanging around the TF2 forums (Before the great cleansing, but that's another story), and managed to convince a few of my friends their to join up. None of them really took to it though, and I was left running round smashing pedestrians and selling their organs all by myself unhappy
I found a nice client, zMUD, and got a map of pretty much all of the world made while I was there - a great help for navigation. The only problem was that since all the players had vanished, there was literally nothing to do except the ped-smashing - all the shops were out of supplies (e.g. guns), and when I managed to finally kill someone who had a gun there was no ammo left in it unhappy
To cut a long story short though, one day one of the admins turned up (Using a cloaking device), and said that soon the MUD would be shut down due to lack of players. He also gave me a load of cash, and a nice chaingun to play with. Unfortunately a gang of guard dogs in a room marked 'do not enter' soon finished me off and I lost most of my stuff unhappy
Where was I, oh yes. The MUD was shut down unhappy
You may remember these posts as a desperate attempt to get more players:
As you can tell though, they failed unhappy
Then, all was quiet....
Until this post popped up:
I got into that for a while, until I realised that it would take hours and hours to build up to the same kind of character level as the top rate players (No doubt with flat-rate connections unhappy).
I've no idea when it was I left, but quite a few things have changed since then... site redesigns, downloadable version, larger map, enlargement of the non-PK area in favour of a system where both people must agree to fight, etc.
If my accout is still active, I should be hidden in the woods somewhere hunting bears and surviving off the land wink
But the moral of this story is...
I'm not going to look at MUME because MUDs are too involving - you need to spend ages playing them in order to get the most benefit, and other people can come to depend on you as being part of the MUD community. If I can find a nice cyberpunk MUD though (And some way of dodging paying for a good MUD client), I may return...
[Edit]
Whooo.. took about half an hour to write that wink
I have many more stories that I can tell if you lot don't learn to be in the forums when I am...
Either that or we need an IRC channel monkey
Also corrected the &'s in the URLs not being trapped properly (Which I reported ages ago, might find a link to it for you)
[Edit #2]
[Edited by
at 20:35, 24/3/2002]

My cat's breath smells like cat's poo.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #8725, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8724
Unregistered user I was wondering when someone would post a comment like that smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

andrew Message #8726, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8725
Unregistered user
I was wondering when someone would post a comment like that smile

Do you have a cat?

^[ Log in to reply ]

andrew Message #8728, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #8727
Unregistered user
No, but I was talking more about the complete off-topicness and general air of 'I don't give a damn about what he just posted' in the reply.

I have a dog instead. Drool, bad breath, lots of hair, stupidity, barking, lying in the way, humping his bed, and smelly poo.

Yes but the sender must have found it very funny shock

Your dog sounds nice.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: The Playpen: mume..