User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah

TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

richard cheng Message #72214, posted by richcheng at 12:34, 29/11/2005

Okay. so my Nintendo DS, if not literally in the post, is as good as, and now I need to decide what games to buy for it. So far I've come up with (in rough order of lustfulness):

[Snagged!] Advance Wars - Everybody says it's awesome.
[Snagged!] Kirby: Power Paintbrush (Canvas Curse) - Just because of this.
[Snagged!] Animal Crossing - Everyone that ever mentions it seems to be a crazed devotee, which sounds like a good recommendation to me.
[Snagged!] Metroid Prime Pinball - Pinball rules!
MarioKart - Goes without saying.
Nintendogs - Uhm...

Any thoughts?

Also, I'm aware that the DS is regionless, but is there generally any difference between UK and US versions of games? i.e. Should I wait for stuff to come out in Blighty, or should I just buy it off lik-sang now now NOW?

[Edited by richcheng at 16:38, 21/3/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #72215, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:08, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72214
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Advance Wars - Everybody says it's awesome.
I've been wondering about this, but I think it's one I need to play first to know if I'll like it.

Animal Crossing - Everyone that ever mentions it seems to be a crazed devotee, which sounds like a good recommendation to me.
I have reservations about the online component, because it seems you can only people online whose friends codes you have. The only people I know with a DS are Poolie and now you, and none of us own AC anyway.

Metroid Prime Pinball - Pinball rules!
I'd forgotten about this. Hmmm, if anyone's looking for Christmas presents *hint hint*

I have this and it's excellent. There are no really duff tracks (unlike the Gamecube version), and there are some really fun ones (Walugi Pinball) and some retro tracks that want me to dig a SNES emulator out. Online works well, although you have to wait a minute while it searches for opponents, and I keep getting my ass whipped.

Also, I'm aware that the DS is regionless, but is there generally any difference between UK and US versions of games? i.e. Should I wait for stuff to come out in Blighty, or should I just buy it off lik-sang now now NOW?
It's probably OK. I'm not sure whether online would work in the same way or not.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #72216, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:11, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72215

Also, you forgot:

Metroid Hunters - out March 2006. Damn you, Nintendo! :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #72218, posted by andypoole at 13:46, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72214
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Kirby: Power Paintbrush (Canvas Curse) - Just because of this.
Animal Crossing - Everyone that ever mentions it seems to be a crazed devotee, which sounds like a good recommendation to me.
Metroid Prime Pinball - Pinball rules!
Nintendogs - Uhm...
I've not got any of those games, but I have got Mario64DS, which is essentially Mario64 with extra bits, and is very nice to play. I've also got Sonic Rush, which is your standard 2d sonic side-scrolling platform game which uses both screens quite well. The boss levels being in 3d, and the special stages using the touch-screen for control. I've also got Zoo Keeper, which is a very addictive puzzle game :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #72219, posted by andypoole at 13:47, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72215
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I have this and it's excellent. There are no really duff tracks (unlike the Gamecube version), and there are some really fun ones (Walugi Pinball) and some retro tracks that want me to dig a SNES emulator out. Online works well, although you have to wait a minute while it searches for opponents, and I keep getting my ass whipped.
I'm hopefully getting this at Christmas, so will have to (attempt to) give you an ass whipping on it at some point after then :E

[Edited by andypoole at 13:47, 29/11/2005]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #72220, posted by Phlamethrower at 14:32, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72215
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I've been wondering about this, but I think it's one I need to play first to know if I'll like it.
Advance Wars for the GBA was good. Like chess but fun!

And as with most RTS/TBS, the higher difficulty levels are ... harder.

*resumes waiting for GTA:DS to be announced :P*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #72225, posted by richcheng at 15:37, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72216

Metroid Hunters - out March 2006. Damn you, Nintendo! :P
Wow. That does indeed look pretty awesome.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #72227, posted by richcheng at 15:42, 29/11/2005, in reply to message #72218

I have got Mario64DS, which is essentially Mario64 with extra bits, and is very nice to play. I've also got Sonic Rush, which is your standard 2d sonic side-scrolling platform game which uses both screens quite well. The boss levels being in 3d, and the special stages using the touch-screen for control. I've also got Zoo Keeper, which is a very addictive puzzle game :)
I'm not really into puzzle games, and I've never played Mario64. I guess that'll mean it's better value for money, though.

I shall maybe add it (and Sonic) to the bottom of my list, however. Cheers!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #72718, posted by richcheng at 11:46, 15/12/2005, in reply to message #72214

I bought it. It is awesome.

:E

I don't think it's very like chess, though. It's more like a faster version of Civilisation. With a hint of Cannon Fodder.

It's also the first game for ages which has really taken a hold over my life.

Oh well. I think sleep is overrated anyway.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #72720, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:27, 15/12/2005, in reply to message #72718

I don't think it's very like chess, though. It's more like a faster version of Civilisation. With a hint of Cannon Fodder.
Well, it does require a certain amount of strategy, e.g. laying out your troops so that if your enemy even thinks of moving towards you you'll have the advantage. I guess Civilisation would be a better comparison, although I've never really played that.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

richard cheng Message #72722, posted by richcheng at 16:08, 15/12/2005, in reply to message #72720

Well, it does require a certain amount of strategy, e.g. laying out your troops so that if your enemy even thinks of moving towards you you'll have the advantage.
I can see the similarity, but I think Advance Wars has a very different feel to chess, and I don't think it would necessarily appeal to the same types of people.

I guess Civilisation would be a better comparison, although I've never really played that.
It's like a slower version of Advance Wars! :E
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #72996, posted by andypoole at 21:24, 26/12/2005, in reply to message #72219
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

I'm hopefully getting this at Christmas, so will have to (attempt to) give you an ass whipping on it at some point after then :E
Come on, then? What's your friend code?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73014, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:09, 27/12/2005, in reply to message #72996

Emailed to the address on your contact web page doofer.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #73024, posted by andypoole at 22:01, 27/12/2005, in reply to message #73014
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Emailed to the address on your contact web page doofer.
Replied using the email you sent me your message from :)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73065, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:08, 28/12/2005, in reply to message #73024

You online, Poolie?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #73076, posted by andypoole at 10:21, 29/12/2005, in reply to message #73065
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

You online, Poolie?
Erm, no. Will be later on, though.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73096, posted by monkeyson2 at 00:20, 30/12/2005, in reply to message #73084

This works:

Four people playing Scrabble in a pub, over quality strong beer. Two DSs are passed around to liven up the bits when the player is choosing their word. Also, a triple word score for 'MARIO' is allowed, as is 'NINTENJO'.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73720, posted by monkeyson2 at 00:46, 25/1/2006, in reply to message #73096

http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=8752 reports some release dates:

Electroplankton (Nintendo) - 21 April
Trauma Centre: Under the Knife (Nintendo) - 28 April
Metroid Prime Hunters (Nintendo) - 5 May
Metroid Prime Pinball (Nintendo) - June

Nintendo Europe really are the shits. THAT'S ALL FAR TOO LATE.

I guess I'll be importing some more stuff then. :|

[Edited by monkeyson2 at 00:47, 25/1/2006]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

van Engelen Thomas Message #73742, posted by highlandcattle at 09:27, 26/1/2006, in reply to message #73720
Get Mr Driller and Meteos for that twitchy arcade action!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73744, posted by monkeyson2 at 15:49, 26/1/2006, in reply to message #73742

New DS!

http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=8760

Very iPoddish.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73766, posted by monkeyson2 at 00:33, 29/1/2006, in reply to message #73742

Meteos
^ This. I played it for a couple of hours today, and I carried on playing it in my head for the rest of the evening.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73882, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:42, 4/2/2006, in reply to message #72214

SPROING!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73987, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:11, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73882

So...

One DS Lite - With all the magical gubbins needed to get it working over the internet.
Animal Crossing - Even though I still have practically no idea what it's about :)
Black & White Creatures - Although not convinced enough to buy B&W 2, a handheld version of the game would certainly be interesting, especially considering how good the graphics look.
Kaitou Wario - IT'S WARIO!!!! *desperately searches for more information*
Mario Kart DS - Being able to play in full 3D seems to have won me over.
Metroid Prime: Hunters - Looks like it should be a good FPS.
New Super Mario Bros. - Since I haven't actually played any Bros. game :o
Super Mario 64 DS - Since I haven't played Mario 64. And you can play as Wario! :E
Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll - It's like Phaethon, but with monkeys! And it works on modern machines!
Worms: Open Warfare - Hopefully this will have better AI than worms for the GameBoy :P

Hmm, that list doesn't look too bad. Shame the DS Lite isn't out yet :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73988, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:22, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73987

CPUs: One ARM9 and one ARM7
I didn't know it had two CPU's :o

Quick, someone port RISC OS :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #73990, posted by andypoole at 15:20, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73988
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

CPUs: One ARM9 and one ARM7
I didn't know it had two CPU's :o
Yeah. I read somewhere that developers can also choose which one powers which screen.

Let us know when you're done :P
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73991, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:40, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73990

Let us know when you're done :P
*unpacks DS*

Well, that's the first part done. Unfortunately the bastages didn't have any USB WiFi adaptors, so it'll be at least another few days until I can kick your collective asses on Mario Kart.

*examines console*

Bit of an ugly bastard, isn't it? :o
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73992, posted by monkeyson2 at 15:51, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73991

You don't need the official Nintendo USB wifi adapter - anything that provides 802.11b and WEP security should work fine.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73993, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:56, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73992

You don't need the official Nintendo USB wifi adapter - anything that provides 802.11b and WEP security should work fine.
Yes, but I don't have anything that provides 802.11b and WEP security :)

The DS is the only WiFi wotsit I have and am likely to own in the forseeable future, so buying their adaptor when I got the console looked like a reasonable thing to do.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #73994, posted by Phlamethrower at 16:19, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73993

It has a dead pixel :cry:
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #73995, posted by monkeyson2 at 18:45, 12/2/2006, in reply to message #73994

It has a dead pixel :cry:
Take it back!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (38): 1 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: TIB's NintendoDS Community Meeting Place Thing Doodah