User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Ravenskull

Ravenskull
  samwise (00:24 17/2/2008)
  andrew (21:23 18/2/2008)
  krisa (07:59 19/2/2008)
    samwise (20:41 22/2/2008)
      davidbradforth (11:02 23/2/2008)
        samwise (22:31 23/2/2008)
        andypoole (22:51 23/2/2008)
      andrew (20:16 27/2/2008)
        samwise (01:40 1/3/2008)
          andrew (13:46 2/3/2008)
            Phlamethrower (15:01 2/3/2008)
              samwise (15:53 2/3/2008)
                andrew (19:05 30/3/2008)
                  samwise (23:37 7/4/2008)
                    andrew (19:30 9/4/2008)
                      samwise (10:11 10/4/2008)
                        samwise (00:19 11/4/2008)
                          andrew (19:17 11/4/2008)
                            samwise (19:51 23/4/2008)

samwise Message #106458, posted by samwise at 00:24, 17/2/2008
Hi,

Quick question. Was the RISC OS Ravenskull remake by John Wallace ever released on it's own for the Arc? Or was it only released as a RISC PC version on Play It Again Sam 4 from ProAction (aka David Bradforth)?

I have the latter version, which claims it's a new conversion to the RISC PC and implies there was a previous version for the Arc.

I'd like to know if there was another released version because I'm pretty certain the one I have is uncompletable.

Thanks,

Sam.

P.S. If nobody here knows, are there any other sites / mailing lists etc. people would recommend I ask the question? Cheers.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #106479, posted by andrew at 21:23, 18/2/2008, in reply to message #106458
HandbagHandbag Boi
Stairway to Hell.

I heard that Ravenskull was converted at the same time as Repton along with Repton 1 and 2 in either the late 80s or early 90s (Can't remember the date) but only Repton 3 was released. David then released it c.1997 through ProAction (various adds in ArcWorld, flyers at shows, review in RISC User - not sure if ProAction ever got into Acorn User) along with the other Reptons I think and then Desktop Repton was released early 2000s. Any further info. I'll have to check the reviews in Retrogamer (repeated in Qercus) and IIRC Edge magazine special.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Kris Adcock Message #106481, posted by krisa at 07:59, 19/2/2008, in reply to message #106458
I was given a copy of Arc Ravenskull on a floppy at an Acorn show (it might have been one of those small shows in a hotel in central Manchester, before Acorn's demise). I seem to recall it was Shareware.

I'll root through my old box of floppies - if I find it, you're welcome to it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #106504, posted by samwise at 20:41, 22/2/2008, in reply to message #106481
Stairway to Hell.
Yeah, STH isn't very Arc-focussed. Won't hurt to try, tho.

I heard that Ravenskull was converted at the same time as Repton along with Repton 1 and 2 in either the late 80s or early 90s (Can't remember the date) but only Repton 3 was released. David then released it c.1997 through ProAction (various adds in ArcWorld, flyers at shows, review in RISC User - not sure if ProAction ever got into Acorn User) along with the other Reptons I think and then Desktop Repton was released early 2000s. Any further info. I'll have to check the reviews in Retrogamer (repeated in Qercus) and IIRC Edge magazine special.
I am beginning to suspect that the original Arc version wasn't released, not until ProAction put out the Risc PC version, anyway. I didn't follow the Arc scene closely (couldn't afford the upgrade), and didn't realise there was any publicity for the Risc OS port, so I'd appreciate links to any of the material you've mentioned (Adverts, Reviews or Show Flyers). I'm thinking of knocking up a tribute site, you see ...

I was given a copy of Arc Ravenskull on a floppy at an Acorn show (it might have been one of those small shows in a hotel in central Manchester, before Acorn's demise). I seem to recall it was Shareware.

Kris, if you have the original Arc version that would be excellent. The PIAS 4 floppy disk (and Superior Collection CD-ROM) version seems impossible to complete so I'd love to see if there was a similar problem with the original Arc version (if it was ever released).

Hmm .. shame I can't work out how to "monitor" this thread!

Sam.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Bradforth Message #106509, posted by davidbradforth at 11:02, 23/2/2008, in reply to message #106504
Ravenskull was prepared in an Arc version, but used the same music initially as the BBC version. Given the small sales for Superior of Repton 3 (the initial version) they were unlikely to release such a similar game by itself.

I do have an Arc disc somewhere... The Risc PC Ravenskull is possible to complete, btw...

ProAction received reviews in Acorn User for Frak and Desktop Repton; other titles received such small sales it was very sad.

Coming very soon, for those interested, are Mac versions of Ravenskull [which I have in development form on my hard disc] and Repton.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #106511, posted by samwise at 22:31, 23/2/2008, in reply to message #106509
Hi, Dave.

Ooh, I'd love to get a hold of (or buy) the Arc version, if you (or anyone else) can find it.

I think you have my email addy already or, if not, you can PM me through this forum.

So the 32-bit version was only ever released in PIAS4 and the Superior Collection CD?

The Risc PC version I have definitely doesn't complete, unless there is a problem with the emulator I'm using - which seems unlikely given it plays through flawlessly. After you push the four casks into the Time Shaft on the final level, the final crucifix piece is not revealed, even though the casks disappear.

A Mac OS X version, eh? Are you programming that yourself? Would be interesting to see that ...

Sam.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #106512, posted by andypoole at 22:51, 23/2/2008, in reply to message #106509
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Coming very soon, for those interested, are Mac versions of Ravenskull [which I have in development form on my hard disc] and Repton.
Ooh! Sounds cool smile

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #106582, posted by andrew at 20:16, 27/2/2008, in reply to message #106504
HandbagHandbag Boi
Stairway to Hell.
Yeah, STH isn't very Arc-focussed. Won't hurt to try, tho.

I am beginning to suspect that the original Arc version wasn't released, not until ProAction put out the Risc PC version, anyway. I didn't follow the Arc scene closely (couldn't afford the upgrade), and didn't realise there was any publicity for the Risc OS port, so I'd appreciate links to any of the material you've mentioned (Adverts, Reviews or Show Flyers). I'm thinking of knocking up a tribute site, you see ...

Kris, if you have the original Arc version that would be excellent. The PIAS 4 floppy disk (and Superior Collection CD-ROM) version seems impossible to complete so I'd love to see if there was a similar problem with the original Arc version (if it was ever released).

Hmm .. shame I can't work out how to "monitor" this thread!

Sam.
I only have a RISC User AFAICR mentioning Ravenskull although seem to remember it being mentioned in the classified in the back of ArcWorlds on a couple of photcopied flyers either posted or at shows handed out. All my RU's and AW's are away from me atm.

A tribute site would be great.

Did you get PIAS 4 through mail order? I thought it was very limited edition like PIAS 19? And what's the Superior Collection CD?

[Edited by andrew at 20:17, 27/2/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #106604, posted by samwise at 01:40, 1/3/2008, in reply to message #106582
I only have a RISC User AFAICR mentioning Ravenskull although seem to remember it being mentioned in the classified in the back of ArcWorlds on a couple of photcopied flyers either posted or at shows handed out. All my RU's and AW's are away from me atm.
Well, anything you can dig up would be great, even if it's just small news entries or ads - I don't have any Arc mags so I'm really struggling for any info on the Risc OS port(s).

A tribute site would be great.
Yeah, that's what I think. smile I reckon I'll have enough material soon - I have the most comprehensive walkthrough you'll ever see (only mine guarantees to get you 100% score!), cover scans, advert and, shortly, I hope to have a scan of the complete original artwork which was seen in part in the 8-bit ads and cover art.

Did you get PIAS 4 through mail order? I thought it was very limited edition like PIAS 19? And what's the Superior Collection CD?
Yes. From CJE Micros about Oct 2006, IIRC. It consists of a flexible plastic case which houses a bunch of floppy disks with a rather poor quality colour photocopy inlay. Thankfully the Ravenskull disk worked (two of the others didn't - maybe because of the time they'd spent on the shelf? not sure.) but it appears to be the same RiscPC version which I already had.

Kris, Dave? Is anyone any closer to finding that lovely Arc version?

Sam.

[Edited by samwise at 01:45, 2/3/2008]

[Edited by samwise at 18:39, 2/3/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #106610, posted by andrew at 13:46, 2/3/2008, in reply to message #106604
HandbagHandbag Boi
http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/prodpages/SPR-PI4AR.shtml

What was on it? shock

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner but at some point I'll see what I can find and let you know.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106611, posted by Phlamethrower at 15:01, 2/3/2008, in reply to message #106610
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/individual/prodpages/SPR-PI4AR.shtml

What was on it? shock
Last Ninja, Cyborg, Ravenskull, and The Crystal Maze.

http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/index.php3?p=Database/DB22#Play_It_Again_Sam_4
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #106612, posted by samwise at 15:53, 2/3/2008, in reply to message #106611
Thanks, Andrew. Like I said, anything you find would be of interest. Sadly my magazine archive is mainly 8-bit only ...

Actually, my copy of PIAS 4 consists of five games, the other being The Pharoahs Secret Tombs. This is because The Last Ninja was listed as Arc-only, so Cyborg was included as a complimentary Risc PC-only game, to make it a complete four game compilation whichever machine you owned.

Unfortunately, I was only able to create disk images of three of the included games. Both The Last Ninja and The Pharoahs Secret Tombs wouldn't copy either because they were copy-protected or, and I suspect more likely, the disks were corrupted. I already have The Last Ninja, so it's just the 'Tombs game, I haven't been able to play.

Sam.

[Edited by samwise at 15:54, 2/3/2008]

Edit: I have found a HTML manual on the PIAS4 disk which definitively lists the arc version as !ArcRaven, so it definitely existed.

[Edited by samwise at 18:41, 2/3/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #106926, posted by andrew at 19:05, 30/3/2008, in reply to message #106612
HandbagHandbag Boi
The information from RISC USer as far as I can tell is in volume 10 (Richard Hallas era, 1997).

Vol.10 iss.5
News item:"Breathing new life into old classics"
Release of 3D Pool for BBC Micro. Request for programmer for RISC OS Frak! (ISTR it being included on a later Arc World disk). Offhand, can't remember who finally wrote it.

Vol.10 iss.10 (100th issue)
2 page review by Matt Browne: review of releases of Repton 1,2 and 3 and Ravenskull. Includes mention of updated Repton 1 and 2 graphics for RiscPC version and that Repton 3 has been updated.

Ravenskull has high-res graphics butonly 4 colours it says. It claims that the Reptons are "new conversions of the BBC originals" although I thought they were converted in around 88-89.

Vol.10 iss.9
News item "ProAction listens to users": announcement of 32bit version of Ravenskull "with high-res graphics"; available singly or on upcoming PIAS 4.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #106989, posted by samwise at 23:37, 7/4/2008, in reply to message #106926
Ahh, interesting. Only just noticed your reply, sorry!

Is there any chance I could trouble you for scans of those articles, Andrew? I'm afraid I only have 8-bit mags in my archive. That review sounds particularly interesting ...

Sam.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #107009, posted by andrew at 19:30, 9/4/2008, in reply to message #106989
HandbagHandbag Boi
Unfortunately I don't have a scanner. I can post it to you but I wouldn't mind keeping hold of it if you're able to return it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #107012, posted by samwise at 10:11, 10/4/2008, in reply to message #107009
Andrew, if you'd be willing to post them, I'd be more than happy to scan them and return them.

Hmm ... can't seem to figure out a way to PM you my address, without posting it in the forum, tho!

Sam.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #107022, posted by samwise at 00:19, 11/4/2008, in reply to message #107012
Andrew, if you want to email me off-forum at:

twoodufouc@farifluset.mailexpire.com

we could swap details.

Cheers,

Sam.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #107030, posted by andrew at 19:17, 11/4/2008, in reply to message #107022
HandbagHandbag Boi
'Tis done.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

samwise Message #107148, posted by samwise at 19:51, 23/4/2008, in reply to message #107030
Just to complete this thread, I've had it confirmed that the Arc version was definitely released and, unlike the Risc PC version, is completable ...

Sam.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: Games: Ravenskull